Monday, March 26, 2012

Folktales

Hey all,

Not a whole lot has been going on here in Seosan. The weather remains cold and I have given up hope that the wind will stop blowing. I also have managed to get a sinus infection, as the wee ones cough on EVERYTHING and I can't seem to wash my hands enough to keep the germs at bay. So, instead of telling you of my awesome adventures, I'll have to tell you an honest to God (I couldn't make this up if I tried) Korean folktale as it appears in one of the actual books I use to teach. You shalln't be disappointed. Without further ado, I give you the "Tale of the Farting Woman".

Once upon a time there was a nice and pretty woman. However, she had a problem. She couldn't control her farts. She farted very often and her farts were very loud and strong. In fact, her farts were so strong that she could make a pot blow away. Her father became very angry with her and told ther that she couldn't fart anymore as she was going to be married soon. So the woman decided to hold in her farts. When she could married she moved in with her husbands family and had several children. She did not fart for ten years. She became very ill. When her father-in-law asked her why she was sick, she told him it was because she was holding in her farts. He smiled at her and told her that she was allowed to fart at anytime she needed to, as it was natural. She made her family gather and hold onto a pillar as she knew that when she farted it would be very powerful. She final let it go and the fart was so strong that her in-laws were blown into the neighbor's house and her children were blown into a nearby field. The house was destroyed. From then on she was allowed and encouraged to fart when she felt the need. The end.

Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment